Truck Accident Lawyer in Indianapolis, IN
Truck accidents can be so much scarier and more damaging than typical automobile collisions. Because of trucks’ size and weight, accidents are more likely to cause severe injury and even death. If you or someone you love was injured in an accident, you’ll need an experienced attorney to listen to your case and get you the compensation you deserve. Having a team of well-trained law professionals on your side is the best way to protect yourself following an accident.
Large commercial vehicles serve an essential function. They are one of the lifelines of American commerce, transporting goods nationwide. Unfortunately, these massive and powerful vehicles are also responsible for causing devastating and life-altering accidents. Data from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration show that large trucks made up 11.8 percent of vehicles involved in fatal crashes in Indiana in a recent year. That percentage is more significant than in much of the rest of the country.
A truck accident can turn your life upside down, impacting everything from your physical and mental health to your livelihood and financial stability. Unfortunately, trucking companies and their insurers are not as concerned with your well-being as they are with profit margins. Pursuing the money you need to recover from your injuries and financial losses can be complicated as trucking companies swiftly move to reduce their liabilities post-accident.
Take immediate steps to protect yourself after an accident with a careless truck driver. Talk to an experienced Indianapolis truck accident attorney with the Alvarez Law Office. Our legal team has more than 200 years of combined legal experience. We draw on this valuable experience to help you combat the aggressive tactics of trucking companies and insurers to recover the compensation you deserve.
For a comprehensive and free case evaluation, contact our Indianapolis office today.
About Alvarez Law
With over 200 years of combined experience, Alvarez Law is ready to take on your case. Since 1974, our law office has been dedicated to providing our clients with the representation they deserve in what can be a life-altering time. Our team can ensure that your case will be thoroughly investigated, and we will fight to seek the best possible outcome. We want to provide you with the confidence that you can trust our team. Our dedicated attorneys will provide you with the support and experience you need during this difficult time.
Our law firm has two former prosecutors on staff who know the methods and tactics of prosecution. This knowledge is used to ensure your freedom isn’t left to chance. Whether you’ve been accused of a felony or misdemeanor, Alvarez Law Office will use this advantage in your favor.
$8.5 Million Semi-Truck Accident
$4 Million Steel Mill Explosion
$3.55 Million Injured Tradesmen/Steelworker
$3 Million Prescription Medical Defect
$2.5 Million Amputation in Illinois
$2,028,000 Trucking Settlement
Common Injuries Associated With Indianapolis Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. Compare that to passenger vehicles which can top out at around 3,000 pounds. Trucks are capable of causing immense and catastrophic damage, leaving accident victims with life-altering injuries and permanent medical complications. Some of the most common injuries associated with Indianapolis truck accidents tend to include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Other neck and spine injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Thermal burns
- Chemical burns
- Soft tissue damage
These types of injuries often require significant medical intervention and can lead to enormous expenses. Complicated medical injuries may also result in the need for rehabilitation, future medical intervention, and continued care.
Everyone that I have spoken with at Alvarez has been polite, positive, & professional. These interactions have inspired my confidence in this firm. It’s reassuring when you’re not well to have a team like this on your side. My attorney, Steven Alvarez a great communicator, very helpful, and kind. He has already been a huge help. I’m grateful I have Alvarez Law working on my behalf.- Lilly P.
Got me more money back than I expected for my injuries! Thanks Alvarez law firm. You guys are awesome!!!- Jerry G.
My experience with the Alvarez Law office was outstanding. They took my case and completed it in a timely manner. Ms. Theresa was outstanding with my case and made sure that I had everything I needed. If anyone needs a law firm that would fight for you like no other this is the Law firm for you. Thank you Anna Gallo- Anna G.
This is a firm you want on your side. They did an amazing job on my car accident case. They really are 24-7. Brandon answered all my questions promptly even on the weekends. Steven got me an amazing settlement. He is the man! He even got my medicals lowered. This is a powerhouse lawyer you want on your side.- Moses V.
I recommend the Alvarez Law Office; Friendly, helpful, and needful advice and also very knowledgeable regarding workman's comp claims. I appreciated their professional representation and skill.- Faith F.
Very pleased with this law firm Brandon has kept me updated throughout my case. Brandon and Nicole are Rock Star's. I would definitely encourage anyone to use this law firm. If you want a Rock Star lawyer then Brandon Morford at Alvarez Law that's the guy you need.- James C.
The Alvarez Law Office helped me with a personal injury case and did a superb job. Everyone from the office staff to Walter Alvarez are very personable and friendly. My experience was great. Shout out to Steven Alvarez for a great job! Thank you so much!- Marci W.
- Hailey S.
Brandon was great at getting back to me and answering all of my questions. It was nice having someone that would answer 24-7 and Attorney Alvarez got me a great resolution on my case.
The Alvarez Law Office helped me settle a workers compensation case. I am very pleased with the results thus far! Brandon along with the paralegal staff have been very professional and friendly. If you are in need of legal representation, consider Alvarez Law Office. Thank you so much!- Laura J.
The office staff was always polite answering the phones. The paralegals are always there to answer my questions through email or by phone calls it may have taken time to get back to me but just had to be patient. The legal secretary called to go over and make sure I understood what and how it was going to be finalized. Attorney Steve Alvarez not settling and making sure he went the extra mile for me.- Brandy F.
The whole entire staff IS GREAT from the front desk to the top. Very nice very friendly honest and reliable!- Joseph L.
I was in an awful wreck in January and I contacted Mr. Alvarez. He has been such a great attorney but an even better friend! From checking up on me and making time for calls with both of our busy schedules. I can honestly say in an awful circumstance Steve Alvarez did his absolute best at all times. I Highly recommend this attorney to anyone!!! Thank you- Collin S.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
Understanding what to do after a truck accident beyond calling the authorities and exchanging information with the truck driver can significantly impact the strength of your compensation claim. You can increase the chances of filing a successful claim by taking some steps to protect yourself following a significant truck accident.
- Always contact authorities – Truck accidents are violent, traumatic, and messy. Always immediately contact the authorities and emergency services for help. Authorities can control the scene and manage clean-up while emergency services aid those in need. A police report may also turn into a vital piece of evidence for your claim.
- Document the scene – When possible, document the scene of the accident as thoroughly as you can. Take photos and videos of the scene, the damage to both vehicles and your surroundings. Exchange information with the driver, but do not talk about the accident or apologize for any reason. Collect the contact information of any potential witnesses to the accident.
- Seek medical attention immediately – Always seek medical attention right away. Truck accidents can cause traumatic and potentially deadly injuries. Additionally, medical documentation can help strengthen your compensation claim.
- Contact an attorney – Trucking companies have insurers and attorneys working for them. Never attempt to go up against a trucking company or insurer without legal assistance. An attorney can protect you, gather vital evidence, and aggressively negotiate for the money you deserve. An experienced attorney can also seek evidence that may be nearly impossible for an accident victim to gather, such as safety inspections and black box data.
- Follow medical advice – Recovery is a process. Always follow the advice and instructions of your physician. Keep follow-up appointments and take all medication as prescribed.
- Avoid social media – Never post information or pictures about the accident. Avoid posting on social media platforms entirely until your attorney resolves your claim. Social media information can potentially be used against you by insurers or opposing attorneys.
How to Prevent a Truck Accident
Although a truck accident may come as a complete surprise, there are steps you can take to help prevent significant accidents with commercial truck drivers.
- Leave plenty of space – Never tailgate truck drivers. Always leave a reasonable space between you and the truck driver in front of you. It takes large and heavy trucks longer to stop or adjust to changing traffic conditions. One car length per ten miles per hour is typically considered a safe distance for divers following trucks on the highway.
- Don’t crowd-turning trucks – Commercial vehicles often need more space to negotiate turns. Avoid crowding turning trucks to prevent wide-turn accidents near intersections. The most common wide-turn accidents often involve large trucks attempting to negotiate tight right turns and crossing into oncoming lanes of traffic.
- Stay out of blind spots – Trucks are large, bulky vehicles leaving blind spots where drivers cannot see their surroundings. Keep in mind that because of these vehicles’ size and shape, they also do not have rear-view mirrors. The rule of thumb is if you can’t see the truck driver’s face in their side mirrors, they can’t see you. Do not travel in a truck’s blind spot for extended periods.
- Avoid distracted driving – Distracted driving is dangerous driving. Avoid common distractions on the road, like cell phones, eating, drinking, grooming, and programming GPS units.
- Be predictable – You can help avoid a collision with truck drivers by being predictable. That means communicating with other drivers by using your turn signals when necessary, slowing down during inclement weather conditions, and maintaining a safe speed.
Contact a Skilled Indianapolis Truck Accident Attorney for Help
When a careless truck driver causes an accident that injures you, getting the help and compensation you need to focus on your recovery can be challenging. Never attempt to speak or negotiate with a trucking company’s insurer without an experienced Indianapolis truck accident attorney. At the Alvarez Law Office, we believe in treating clients like family. We focus on providing aggressive legal representation in a supportive environment.
Reach Out to Alvarez Law Today
A conviction can change the course of your life in an instant. A criminal record can make it harder to find a job or find a place to live in the future, depending on your charges. Whether you’re being investigated or have already been arrested, you should contact a lawyer first thing.
If you need a criminal defense attorney, reach out to the team at Alvarez Law today. One of our experienced attorneys will be glad to discuss your case and see what we can do for you. We have several convenient locations to better serve our clients throughout Indiana and Illinois. Our team looks forward to working with you and providing you with the representation that you deserve.
If you’ve been hurt by the actions of a careless truck driver, arrange a free consultation with our Indianapolis truck accident attorneys to learn more about the Alvarez difference. Contact our office today.